Sacrament of Marriage
The Catholic community of St. Ann rejoices with an engaged couple’s decision to be married in the Catholic Church. To help you prepare for the celebration, we have some guidelines to keep the sacredness of the Sacrament of Marriage.
Foremost, Church law requires that the engaged couple must be free to marry; that neither was married before. If there has been a previous marriage, be it Catholic, non-Catholic, or civil, an annulment must be completed before a wedding date can be scheduled. The priest will assist you in starting this process. Other documents, in addition to the decree of annulment, may be required; namely, death certificate (of previous spouse if applicable), canonical dispensations and permissions (if necessary).
The whole preparation process generally takes four to six months during which period the following requirements have to done and completed with:
- Bring an updated certificate of baptism issued within month after the initial meeting with the priest.
- Schedule an appointment with the priest.
- Attend a retreat/workshop. Time and location can be accessed in the Diocese of Orlando website Marriage Preparation page.
- Complete the on-line Fully Engaged Inventory/Questionnaire. (The couple will be notified via email of the code they will use to start the inventory session).
- Come to discuss the evaluation results with the mentor couple working with you on the marriage preparation. This may take 4 or more separate meetings.
- All required documents must be completed and submitted to the Office of Religious Education at the required time.
- Time and date for the wedding depends upon the availability of the church and the priest.
- Weddings on a Saturday are scheduled no lated than 1:00 pm.
ETIQUETTE REQUEST –The church is a sacred place. We expect everyone to dress appropriately. For questions or further information, contact the Office of Religious Education at 863-438-2700.